Tuesday, 15 March 2016

Dads are important too

This post has NOTHING to do with LEGO Technic but it is something I feel very strongly about...

I am going to have a bit of a rant. It was only the other day that my wife and I were talking about how lucky we are to be in the position where we BOTH look after our daughter.

Of late I have seen more and more of this (http://rosie-writes.com/2016/02/04/dumb-ass-stuff-we-need-to-stop-saying-to-dads), while it raises a number of really good points, it is sad that in 2016 we still see dads in general as "the lesser parent". Mums and dads are BOTH important.

Some dads are awesome, some dads suck. Some mums are awesome, some mums suck. What matters most is your child or children and the fact they are being raised in a loving and supportive environment. It takes a village to raise a child, we are lucky to have the support of our families and close friends, who all in various ways are helping us to raise our daughter to be the best person she can be.

I am very lucky that my work situation allows me to work full time hours over a four day week, this means early starts and late finishes but it gives me the privilege of being able to spend a full day during the week with our daughter, just me and her doing things together. As she gets older we are becoming closer and I am learning as much from her as she is from me. This is not me “baby sitting” her, it is me being a parent. I understand that not many people are lucky enough to be in this position.

As I leave so early for work, Sabrina does the morning jobs of feeding and dressing daughter and getting her ready and off to care before she goes to Uni. Sometimes she picks daughter up, other times I do. While Sabrina does almost all the cooking, I mostly wash up and also help parent daughter and get her off to bed. Overnight I get up to her when needed 95% of the time. Of a weekend we do things together as a family and things by ourselves, often daughter is happy to entertain herself, provided we are close by. This is “the new normal” for us and it works. We are both individually and collectively capable of looking after daughter and anything one of us can do the other can do (in computer terms we are a true RAID 1). THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE....

So let’s stop commenting on somebody’s ability to parent based on their gender and making assumptions because of this. Let’s instead support and encourage each and every one of us to be the best parent we can be, no matter what our gender. If you are happy, the other parent is happy and most importantly your child or children are happy, that is what matters.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your article on Dad's. My son is a house husband and full time father while his wife travels with her demanding job. He works from home. My grandson is a mad Lego fan but I dare not show him your blog or his future birthday/ Xmas gifts will become hideously expensive. Right now he's satisfied with those little models.You know me as Enzed from a forum we visit. All the best.

    ReplyDelete